1. In Barbados, a small eastern Caribbean island, when you turn 100, you get a stamp made in your honor.
2. There are more than 7,500 types of apples in the world, which means you’ll need more than 20 years to try each of them, providing that you eat one type a day.
3. Sea otters hold each other’s hands while they sleep so that they don’t float apart.
4. The Japanese language has a word “kuchisabishii” — when you eat not because you’re hungry, but because your mouth is lonely.
5. For anyone dreaming of a simple life, you may want to consider moving to Giethoorn, Netherlands.
This idyllic village has no roads, and the only access is by water over the many beautiful canals or on foot over its wooden arch bridges.
6. A human body, weighing 155 pounds, contains 0.2 milligrams of gold.
7. Astronauts have the ability vote from space. They get their ballot by e-mail and send it back the same way, after having declared their preferences.
8. Squirrels will sometimes take care of baby squirrels, if their parents fail to return to the nest.
9. By the age of 50-60, half of our taste buds become dull.
10. Africa is the only continent with land in all four hemispheres.
11. Men’s tongues are usually longer than women’s tongues.
12. Four seconds is the perfect length of time to dunk your Oreos in milk.
13. The man who invented the Rubik’s Cube couldn’t solve it at first. He eventually learned to master the cube and could solve the puzzle in under a minute.
14. Polar bears can run at 25 miles per hour, whereas the fastest NFL player these days, Nick Chubb, can run just over 22 mph.
15. Sound travels four times faster in water than in air. Water is about 800 times denser than air, so there are way more particles for waves to bounce off. Thus, sound is faster in water.
16. Those holes in airplane windows are called “breather” holes, and they help alleviate pressure so that neither the outside nor inside panes crack.
17. In space, no one can hear you scream. This is because in space, molecules are spread so far apart that a sound’s vibration is unable to reach them in order to vibrate and be heard.
18. A single piece of spaghetti is called “spaghetto” in the Italian language.
19. Men process other men’s voices with the part of the brain that processes simple sounds such as car engines and machinery.
But they process female voices with the part of the brain that processes music.