If you were to take a trip back in time, you would find that the desire to have sparkling teeth was the catalyst to some seriously disgusting ways people took care of their smiles. It’s no surprise that people fear dentists since our brains associate dentistry with pain. During the medieval period, many dental procedures were carried out by lay barbers, or barber-surgeons, who performed more routine hygienic services including shaving, bleeding and tooth extraction.
Some of the methods used throughout history will turn our stomach upside down. Read on to find out about some of the most frightful pictures throughout the history of dentistry.
1. An image captured from St Bartholomew’s Hospital in 1898 shows a man suffering from lamellar cataracts.
2. Dental extraction during World War I.
3. U.S. Dentist Corp personnel working on patients.
4. The teeth of a 12-year-old boy with hereditary syphilis – 1912.
5. Army officers cleaning their friend’s teeth. Circa World War II.
6. Boy with rotten teeth at Friern Hospital in London – 1890.
7. A young man being held down by his friends as the dentist tries to perform a tooth extraction. Circa 1910.
8. A mother pulling her son’s bad tooth – 1897.
9. Image showing how orthodontic treatment was performed in 1906.
10. A man can be seen pulling out a young man’s tooth in a room filled with medicine – 1872.
11. A field dentist working in a makeshift tent during World War I -1915.
12. An outpatient dental clinic in India – 1957.
13. A young child with rotten teeth at Friern Hospital in London -1890.
14. A Persian dentist extracting a patient’s tooth.
15. A woman with severe infection had numerous teeth removed from the right side of her mouth but it spread throughout her gums – 1912.
16. A Roman dental bridge discovered in Teano, Southern Italy. These makeshift dentures were made with other people’s teeth.
17. A young girl with hereditary syphilis being treated by a dentist – 1910.
18. A dentist performing a painful dental procedure – 1905.
19. Fractured jaw headgear – 1891.
20. U.S. Coast Guard personnel provide medical and dental care to the Alaskan natives – 1950.
Can you imagine going through these painful procedures?
Do you know of any other freaky tools used by dentists back in the day? Let us know through the comments section and be sure to SHARE with your friends!
Also read: 10 Deadliest Cult Stories Of All Time
Powered by Facebook Comments